As I did my morning devotions, I came across this new revelation from God. I was reading from Genesis 3-4, and God just pointed out something amazing. I realized that SO many times, people figure that the Old Testament has no relevance in our lives anymore, that it is boring, and that only the New Testament is what counts, and what should be read. I admit that I have felt this too. But then, as I read over Genesis, and the beginning, I realized that there is such significance in the Old Testament, particularly in regards to God's mercy. People tend to think that God in the Old Testament was NOT merciful, that it was not until the New Testament where God truly begins to exhibit and release His mercy- but that it NOT SO. God illustrated His mercy and love for us from the VERY BEGINNING, all the way back to the fall of Adam & Eve. Think about it for a second. Adam and Eve disobeyed God, and God did what He had to do.... i.e., ban them from the Garden of Eden. However, despite, you still see God's hand protecting them; you still see God's caring gestures of love for humankind, despite their sins. For example, after the fall of Adam + Eve, Genesis 3:21 says....
"The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." It was Adam + Eve who sinned and it was THEIR fault for becoming ashamed of their nudity. Yet God still clothed them, made skin for them, and why? BECAUSE HIS LOVE REMAINED CONSISTENT. HIS LOVE WAS UNCONDITIONAL. BECAUSE HE STILL CARED FOR THEM.
Then when Adam and Eve gave birth to Cain and Abel, and when Cain grew jealous of Abel because God was more pleased with Abel's offering than Cain's, Cain killed his brother. Cain sinned greatly, yet that did not stop God from caring about him. Cain was still able to live despite this sin, because of God's great mercy.
"Now Cain said to his brother Abel, 'Let's go out to the field.' And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. Then the Lord said to Cain, 'Where is your brother Abel?' 'I don't know,' he replied. 'Am I my brother's keeper?' The Lord said...."Now you are under a curse....When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.' Cain said to the Lord, "My punishment is more than I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.' But the Lord said to him, 'not so, if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him." Genesis 4:8-15
Case in point, the LORD, despite Cain's sins, God still provided protection for him.... AMAZING AMAZING mercy of God extends from the beginning of time to now. It was still occurring since the beginning of time, with Adam, Eve, Cain, and Seth, who God graciously gave to Eve to replace Abel....
what an amazing God we serve! <3
God bless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment